Steven Graber makes an important point in his article "The Basics of a Cover Letter" that cover letters, much like resumes, should be tailored to fit job descriptions. It is not enough to have one cover letter where you just change the name of the hiring manager, address, and job title. Although this process takes more time, it is worth it in the end regardless of whether or not you get the job. He also notes how important it is to locate the hiring managers name and avoid greetings that read, "Dear Sir or Madam." Much like a resume, cover letters should also be a page long. An applicant should be able to sum everything up in three or four short paragraphs. Graber also suggests avoiding catch phrases. However, I somewhat disagree with this assertion because some job descriptions contain catchphrases and if you incorporate those into your cover letter, it shows that you read the job description and fully understand the responsibilities of the position. He also suggests applicants consider their audience when writing a cover letter. Focusing on what they can do for the employer is better than focusing on how the employer can benefit them.
Margaret Riley Dikel and Frances E. Roehm discuss putting a resume on the Internet in their article. The first point that caught my eye is their assertion about not attaching a resume to an e-mail. This concept is a first for me. I understand their point about 20 seconds and making a quick first impression, but I feel like cutting and pasting a resume into the body of an e-mail is absolutely ludicrous. You'll experience formatting issues, who knows what it will look like when they try to print it out, maybe they'll think you have no idea how to attach a file to an e-mail... all of the above are possibilities. If you turn your resume into a PDF and attach it to your e-mail, it's much easier and more professional. Also, I think if you're going to put anything in the body of the e-mail it should be the cover letter. Still, I'm not sold on that idea either.
They also discuss uploading a resume to a corporate website when job searching. I have become extremely frustrated in the past with uploading a resume AND having to go through 10 or so pages of filling in the SAME information about Education, Employment, etc. If you submit your resume by uploading it, why is it also necessary to fill in the same exact information?
Course Reflection
17 years ago
1 comment:
The reason we advocate putting your resume into the body of the email is so it actually reaches the recipient and so it gets his or her attention. If you keep reading in the book, we also give you instructions on how to take your nice Word resume and convert it to plain text versions for email (avoiding formatting problems) and posting in databases.
As for uploading and filling out database forms, you will have to do whatever the employer or website wants. Most have you fill out a form so the data in their database will be in a standard format which can be easily searched. Others, usually those who are accepting resumes via email, will happily take an attached resume, so it isn't necessarily an exercise designed to frustrate the job seeker, it has some purpose (albeit a frustrating one).
As for attaching a cover letter instead of placing it in your email message, I get dozens of emails every week with the message "My resume attached, please read it" and nothing whatsoever to indicate why I should read this. If I have 100 email messages, why should I read yours if you cannot take the time to give me something to read. Market yourself. Give me a reason to spend more than 20 seconds looking at your email, especially if I don't know you at all.
--Margaret Riley Dikel, rileyguide.com
Post a Comment